Sweet Home Alabama is an iconic 2002 romantic comedy starring Reese Witherspoon and Josh Lucas. The movie is beloved for its charming, humorous story about a young New York fashion designer who returns to her small Alabama hometown to reunite with an old flame. Over the years, Sweet Home Alabama has gained a loyal fan base and become a classic romantic comedy.
For those who have been looking to fill the void from Sweet Home Alabama’s end credits, here is a list of films you can enjoy if you can’t get enough of Alabama-style romantic comedy.
Romantic Comedy Classics
• Legally Blonde (2001): Another Reese Witherspoon film, the chick-flick Legally Blonde follows UCLA Sorority girl Elle Woods on a comedic mission to get accepted into Harvard’s law school. The film brings laughs and charms as Elle overcomes obstacles and finds true happiness with her heartthrob professor, Warner Huntington III.
• 10 Things I Hate About You (1999): An adaptation of William Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, 10 Things I Hate About You is an iconic teen comedy starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. The movie features funny characters and witty dialogue as the main characters, Kat and Patrick, get caught up in a more complicated love story than expected.
• Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008): Starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a hilarious film about a heartbroken composer going on his first vacation post break-up. It follows him as he attempts to win back his ex-girlfriend and showcases plenty of fun comedic moments and plenty of laughs.
• 13 Going on 30 (2004): Starring Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo, 13 Going on 30 is a comedic take on the classic body-swap comedy. The film follows a young girl who’s wished upon a magical thirteenth birthday to be thirty. Garner’s maturity in playing the thirteen-year-old trapped inside a body of a thirty-year-old is remarkable as she discovers that life isn’t as perfect as she dreamed it would be.
• The House Bunny (2008): Anna Faris stars in this 2008 comedy about a former Playboy bunny who is banished from the Playboy mansion and has to find a new home. When she finds her home at a rundown sorority house, she has to teach them the ways of the world and ultimately learns something about herself.
Romantic Comedies Set in the South
• Steel Magnolias (1989): Starring an all-star female cast including Sally Field and Julia Roberts, Steel Magnolias is a warm-hearted drama set deep in the heart of Louisiana. It follows the life of Shelby, played by Julia Roberts, who faces with various struggles with illness and how the women in her community supported her and each other as they all face life’s everyday struggles.
• Fried Green Tomatoes (1991): Fried Green Tomatoes is both a comedy and a drama, set in 1930s Alabama. Starring Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy, the movie follows two elderly women who take a young woman under their wing and tell her a remarkable story about two courageous women.
• Daddy’s Little Girls (2007): Starring Idris Elba and Gabrielle Union, Daddy’s Little Girls follows a poor mechanic who gets involved with a successful woman lawyer and has to battle her loaded ex-husband for custody of his three daughters. The film shows the depth of love and care a person can have and is a lighthearted romantic comedy that will make you root for the main characters.
• Where The Heart Is (2000): Starring Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd, this lighthearted comedy-drama is based on the best-selling novel by Billie Letts. It tells the story of Novalee, a struggling single mother whose basic dreams of having a family shape her life. The movie is a great blend of humor and heartfelt moments as Novalee navigates parenthood while struggling with the hardships of being a single mom in a rural town.
• Footloose (1984): Starring Kevin Bacon, this classic movie follows Ren McCormack, a city kid who moves to a small Southern town who has to fight against the town’s ban on dancing. Ren has to face the town’s tyrant reverend and teach the town about the joy of dancing, all while finding true love. Footloose is a must-watch for those looking for an upbeat, happy-go-lucky movie from the 80s.
Romantic Dramas Set in the South
• The Notebook (2004): Starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, this beautiful romantic drama is based off the best-selling novel by Nicholas Sparks. It follows the love story of Noah and Allie as they endure a summer of love and heartbreak as they struggle to stay together. The movie is heartbreaking and inspiring, and will take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride.
• Sweet Home Alabama (2002): Of course, let’s not forget the classic romantic comedy that inspired this list: Sweet Home Alabama. It stands alone as an iconic romantic comedy and its charming story will make you laugh, cry, and swoon.
• A Time To Kill (1996): Starring Matthew McConaughey and Sandra Bullock, A Time to Kill is an adaptation of John Grisham’s best-selling novel. It follows the life of an attorney fighting for justice as he deals with the consequences of a crime in his small hometown. The movie is a gripping drama and a great watch for those looking for a more serious sort of love story.
• Sweet Home Louisiana (2017): Another charming romantic comedy from from the South, Sweet Home Louisiana follows Rebecca and her return to her small home town for her ex-boyfriend’s wedding. She has to confront her past and remember why she left in the first place. The film is cute, funny, and a great watch if you’re in the mood for something lighthearted and romantic.
• Crazy in Alabama (1999): Starring Melanie Griffith, Crazy in Alabama is a quirky and heartfelt movie about a beauty queen and her return to Alabama. It follows her as she deals with the aftermath of a past crime and how her small town deals with her allegations.
The South brings a certain sort of charm and beauty to romantic comedies, and Sweet Home Alabama continues to be the classic of that repertoire. Whether it’s comedy or drama, there’s sure to be a movie here to suit any movie lover’s taste. From classic comedy stars such as Reese Witherspoon to drama performances by Matthew McConaughey, these movies will bring a little bit of southern flavor to your movie night.